BIOL 133 Week 15 Chapter 19 – Question and Answers
- What is the only way to introduce a new allele into a species?
- In South America, there is a specific type of frog where the male uses a loud call in order to attract females, even though this makes him more likely to be found by a predator. This is an example of
- The accumulation of mutations in a population over generations leads to
- If alleles that cause disease are constantly being selected against, why would there be any disease-causing alleles in a population over generations?
- The fact that being homozygous recessive for the CCR5 receptor protects people from being infected with HIV, thus causing an increase in the recessive CCR5 allele, is an example of
- Cheetahs, once hunted to near extinction, are now protected and recovering, although the number of different alleles at 5 different loci has dropped from 28 to 16. This is an example of ________.
- A group of birds migrate to a newly formed island and have a genetic makeup that is different from the original population. This is known as ________?
- Although Lamarck’s idea of inheritance of acquired characteristics was demonstrated to be false, there is a way in which exposure to some environmental factors can be passed on to offspring. This is known as
- Population bottlenecks and founder effects
- What does the term 2pq represent in the Hardy-Weinberg principle?