BIOL 133 Week 4 Chapter 6 Study Questions with Answers
- Researchers are working to develop biofuels to free us from dependence on fossil fuels. Based on what you know about cellulose, what do you predict are the major advantage and disadvantage of using cellulose-rich plant material as biofuel?
- What examples describe the second law of thermodynamics? Select all that apply.
- Neostigmine is a drug used to treat the disease myasthenia gravis. The drug binds to the active site of acetylcholinesterase preventing breakdown of acetylcholine. This drug is a(n)
- Glycerol and fatty acids can combine to make triglycerides. This represents a(n)
- C6H12O6 + 6O2 ? 6H2O + 6CO2 is an example of ________________.
- Since metabolism involves the synthesis and breakdown of non-protein cell components like mono- and polysaccharides, lipids, and ATP, there is not much role for gene mutations to influence the process.
- How does ATP differ from a RNA nucleotide?
- Making popsicles _____________the entropy of the system.
- What is an example of potential energy? Select all that apply.
- After many years of difficult research, your company invented a drug that increases the enzyme rate for the synthesis of an important metabolite. Patients with mutations in the enzyme lack the metabolite and have devastating symptoms. Your team is thrilled to have a drug that speeds up the enzymatic rate. At your celebration, the new intern pipes up: “You guys didn’t have to do all that work after all! Instead of giving patients this new drug, you could have just given them the metabolite directly.”