SPD 501 Week 5 Assignment Benchmark – Philosophy of Special Education
A philosophy of special education is a statement regarding your beliefs and values about special education. A shorter version of this statement is often required as part of the application process to obtain employment as a teacher.
Create a 750-1,000 word draft of your special education philosophy. Include statements regarding your beliefs and values in each of the following areas:
- The purpose of education.
- Your personal vision of meeting the learning needs of students with special needs using standards-based instruction.
- How some of the ethical frameworks and professional practice standards you have examined will guide your professional practice.
- The types of resources teachers should seek to continually deepen their understanding of cultural, ethnic, gender, and learning differences among their students.
- The types of professional activities or learning communities that would best facilitate lifelong learning.
Include three scholarly references to support your philosophy of education.