PSY 510 Topic 3 Benchmark Assignment, Benchmark – Critical Thinking Essay
Choose one of the two provided topics. Right to Die
- Goligher, E.C., Cigolini, M., Cormier, A., Donnelly, S., Ferrier, C., Gorshkov-Cantacuzene, VA., … Quinlan, J., (2019). Euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide are unethical acts. World Medical Journal, 65(1), 34-37. Retrieved from https://search-ebscohost-com.lopes.idm.oclc.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=136957959&site=ehost-live&scope=site
- Calabro, R.S., Naro, A., De Luca, R., Russo, M., Caccamo, L., Manuli, A., … Bramanti, P. (2016). The right to die in chronic disorders of consciousness: Can we avoid the slippery slope argument? Inovations in clinical neuroscience, 13(11-12), 12-24. Retrieved from. https://search-ebscohost-com.lopes.idm.oclc.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=psyh&AN=2017-02583-001&site=ehost-live&scope=site
Video Games and Violent Behaviour
- Cunningham, S., Engelstatter, B., & Ward, M.R. (2016). Violent video games and violent crime. Southern Economic Journal, 82(4), 1247-1265. Retrieved from https://lopes.idm.oclc.org/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=114818624&site=ehost-live&scope=site
- Gentile, D. A., Bender, P.K., & Anderson, C.A. (2017). Violent video game effects on salivary cortisol, arousal, and aggressive thoughts in children. Computers in human behaviour, 70, 39-43. Retrieved from https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.12.045
The articles provide argue opposite sides of the controversy. In 1,250 – 1,500 words:
- Briefly analyze and compare the claims of both articles as well as the background of the controversy and how it became controversial. Include how historical perspectives and theories add to the controversy.
- Examine the evidence given in the articles and explain which article creates a stronger argument. You are not choosing a side that supports your beliefs. Describe why one article’s argument is stronger than the other. Give examples from both. Include how current perspectives and theories support your rationale.
- Identify any logic fallacies that exist in both and explain what makes them logic fallacies (For a list of logical fallacies, follow this link). https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/logic_in_argumentative_writing/fallacies.html
- Describe how the controversy you chose is applicable and significant to the world.
Use at least four scholarly references to support your claims. Be sure to carefully review the rubric for specifics on selecting and integrating sources to effectively support your rationale.
PSY 510 Topic 4 Assignment, Case Study – Handling Disparate Information
Read Case 7: Handling Disparate Information for Evaluating Trainees on pages 440-441 in your textbook. In 350-500 words, thoroughly answer each of the questions below regarding Case 7: Handling Disparate Information for Evaluating Trainees. Use one to two scholarly resources to support your answers.
- What are the issues related to boundaries of competence (Standard 2 of APA Ethics Code) in this scenario, given Yeung’s status as a Research Psychologist?
- Demonstrate knowledge of guidelines associated with supervision. In the ethical decision-making process, it is important for psychologists to engage in supervision and consultation. What steps can Dr. Yeung take to ensure she is ethically aligned with guidelines regarding supervision?
- List continuing education or training for a specific area or expertise. What types of continuing education should Yeung obtain to be ethically compliant in her role as a research psychologist?
PSY 510 Topic 5 Assignment, Case Study – Duty to Protect
Read “Case 4: Research on Intimate Partner Violence and the Duty to Protect” on pages 435-436 in your textbook. Once you have read the case study completely, answer the discussion questions below in 350-500 words. Use one to two scholarly resources to support your answer.
- Why is this an ethical dilemma? Which APA Ethical Principles help frame the nature of the dilemma?
- How are APA Ethical Standards 01f, 3.04, 3.06, 4.01, 4.02, 4.05, and 8.01 relevant to this case? Which other standards might apply?
- What are Yeung’s ethical alternatives for resolving this dilemma? Which alternative best reflects the Ethics Code aspirational principles and enforceable standards, legal standards, and obligations to stakeholders? Can you identify the ethical theory (discussed in Chapter 3) guiding your decision?
- What steps should Yeung take to implement her decision and monitor its effect?
- Aidan is a research participant in this What are rights to privacy and confidentiality? How was this established? Under the circumstances in this scenario, what are the ethical issues related to his confidentiality and/or privacy?
PSY 510 Topic 6 Assignment, Case Study – Ethical Consultation
Dr. Jamison has joined a group practice of psychologists who have asked her to develop her biography to post with her picture on their social media page. They have asked Dr. Jamison to reach out to her former clients from her last employer to solicit testimonials. Dr. Jamison is very concerned about this request. She was unaware the group practice had a social media page. When she visits the page, she sees several client testimonials for other psychologists in practice, some of which appear to reveal identifying information about the clients.
In 500-750 words:
- Describe the ethical issues involved in this
- Discuss the steps Jamison should take with regard to her discovery of potential ethical concerns.
- Provide recommendations for the group’s advertising needs that would meet ethical standards.
Use two to three scholarly sources to support your claims.
PSY 510 Topic 7 Assignment, Ethics of Religion
In 1,250-1,500 words, describe the ethical implications of implementing religion or spirituality into therapy. Be sure to address the following four topics:
- Multiple relationships
- Imposing religious values in therapy
- Informed consent
PSY 510 Topic 8 Assignment, Forensic Psychology and Ethical Implications
For this paper, you will examine the ethical implications of a controversial topic related to forensic psychology.
Choose from the following topics:
- Psychologists’ involvement in military interrogations
- Psychologists’ involvement in assessments related to death penalty cases
In 1,000-1,250 words, consider the following:
- Discuss human rights as it relates to the controversy.
- Explain ethical implications that may arise for both sides of the controversy.
A minimum of three peer-reviewed sources and the textbook should be used to support this paper.