POLI 330N Final Exam Week 8 – Question and Answers
- (TCO 1) Historians and political scientists are different because historians and political scientists…………
- (TCO 1) The notion that politicians think practically and political scientists think abstractly is indicative of which of the following?
- (TCO 1) Voting for someone who is charismatic but whose policies might not benefit you wouldbe considered……….behavior
- (TCO 1) is the use of public office for private gain
- (TCO 1) The notion that we acknowledge the rightful roles of our leaders or our laws is knownas…….
- (TCO 1) Relating concepts in a way that connects them in an empirical manner is the basisof building
- (TCO 1) The term for measuring with numbersis .
- (TCO 4) The English common law stressed the rights of free and equal men and was developed on the basis of precedent set by earlier judges, known today as……..
- (TCO 4) Which of the following issues is a civil concern?
- (TCO 4) The concept of judicial review falls under which article of the U.S. Constitution
- (TCO 4) Who nominates and approves federal judges in the U.S. court system?
- (TCO 4) Which of the following was an argument against granting the U.S. Supreme Court the power of judicial review?
- (TCO 4) Examine the ideal role of American judges.
- .(TCO 4) In Lombard v. Louisiana (1963), the Warren Court supported , ruling that blacks who had refused to leave a segregated lunch counter could not be prosecuted.
- (TCO 5) Why do the responsibilities of legislative and executive powers often overlap?
- (TCO 5) How often does the cabinet change in a parliamentary system?
- (TCO 5) Because of the separation of powers inherent in a presidential system, some scholars think that executivelegislative is common in systems like that used in the United States.
- (TCO 5) Who directly calls forth the leader of the largest party to take office with a cabinet and become the prime minister?
POLI 330N Final Exam Page 2
- (TCO 5) When it comes to electing officials, which factor matters the most to voters in both presidential and parliamentary elections?
- (TCO 5) Who receives the most attention in both parliamentary and presidential systems ?
- (TCO 5) Describe how the United States expands its cabinet.
- (TCO 7) Radicals use the term political economy instead of to describe their critique of capitalism and the inequitable distribution of wealth among nations.
- (TCO 7) How do Keynesian economic policies differ from the traditional laissezfaire policies developed by Adam Smith?
- (TCO 7) What event is largely considered responsible for deterring Johnson’s War on Poverty?
- (TCO 7) Which of the following is an increasing financial concern of the Medicare program?
- (TCO 7) Why are many politicians wary about limiting Social Security and Medicare expenses?
- (TCO 7) How does the American welfare state compare to those of other industrialized nations?
- (TCO 7) Theoretically, what are the consequences if the government assumes the burden of bad loans?
- (TCO 9) What is the most common response to serious domestic unrest?
- (TCO 9) Riots triggered by police beating youths, protests against globalization, and labor strikes against austerity are allexamplesof .
- (TCO 9) What is likely to happen if the people are unhappy and there is no organization to focus their discontent?
- (TCO 9) What about U.S. agencies such as the Department of Homeland Security, the FBI, and the CIA make them so ill prepared to fight terrorism?
- (TCO 9) According to Hannah Arendt, the American struggle was indeed a revolution, perhaps history’s only complete revolution
- (TCO 9) Does terrorism work?
- (TCO 9) Hannah Arendt pointed out that rage is the fuel of revolution, but what is now the greatest cause of rage?
POLI 330N Final Exam Essay Questions
- (TCO 2) What types of states are most likely to become authoritarian? Why? Along the same lines, what authoritarian states have been most likely to democratize? Under what circumstances does this democratization occur and why? Based on previous findings, describe one country you think is likely to democratize in the near future.
- (TCO 3) Compare and contrast interest groups and political parties. In your response, be sure to provide examples their similarities and differences. In addition, please assess what advantages interest groups offer that political parties don’t and then what advantages d political parties offer that interest groups don’t.
- (TCO 6) Since the end of WWII, international relations have been framed by the conflict between liberal governments and communist ideals. Compare and contrast the features of these systems and assess their continued impact on the global community. Please be certain to explain classical and modern liberalism, socialism, and communism within your responses and provide examples to support your points. (Points : 40)
4. (TCO 8) Today’s world seems to be moving beyond sovereignty and toward supranational leadership to cooperate on issues of global importance. What are some of these issues? How might they be solved through supranational cooperation? Does such cooperation impede the sovereignty of independent nations? Please sure to include specific examples in supporting your points. (Points : 40)