NBST 515 Exam 3
90 out of 100 points
- According to the presentations, which two Gospel writers use an “aside” when speaking of “the abomination of desolation standing where it shouldn’t?”
- According to the presentations, the Ur-Gospel theory says that an early Aramaic version of the Gospel formed the basis of the Greek versions of the first three Gospels we have today.
- According to Elwell, the critical method in which the text loses all objective meaning and becomes whatever the reader takes it to mean is called
- According to the presentations, Gospel writers often cobble together two or more Old Testament passages from different parts of the Old Testament into one quote.
- According to the presentations, arguments for Markan priority include which of the following
- According to the presentations, the view that the canonical order of the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke) is the order of composition as well is known as the
- According to Elwell, the so-called “Jesus Seminar” claimed that 82% of the words ascribed to Jesus in the Gospels were not actually spoken by him.
- According to the presentations, the Gospel of Mark regularly uses Greek grammar and syntax that is rough and often clumsy, perhaps indicating that Greek was his second language.
- According to the presentations, the “General Epistles” are distinguished by the fact that they are some of the few letters of the New Testament not written by Paul.
- According to the presentations, which New Testament epistle is comprised of an elaborate theological reflection on the superiority of Christ and his sacrifice?
- According to Elwell, one of the contributions of the so-called “social scientific criticism of the New Testament” is the rediscovery of the importance of understanding the Gospels in the context of their original Jewish setting.
- According to Elwell, the isolated, independent units of written Gospel material which form critics analyzed in their attempt to trace the development of the Gospels in their oral stages are called
- According to the presentations, the word “Synoptic” comes from the Greek word meaning “to see together.”
- According to the presentations, which epistle alludes to a “great cloud of witnesses” sitting in the stands cheering persecuted Christians on to the finish line?
- According to Elwell, one of the contributions of historical criticism to the study of the New Testament is the rediscovery of Jesus’s Jewishness.
- According to the presentations, which of the following is not one of the patterns of similarities among the Synoptic Gospels?
- According to the presentations, the Synoptic Gospels never quote the Old Testament in exactly, or nearly exactly, the same words.
- According to Elwell, the method of Gospel study that focuses on such things as plot, structure, ordering of events, dramatic tension, intended impact on the reader, and so on is called
- According to Elwell, which of the following is a criterion of authenticity used by scholars to find Jesus’s authentic words?
- According to Elwell, who was the scholar who argued that the New Testament must be “demythologized” by taking the early Christian “myths” of incarnation, deity, death for sins, and resurrection and translating them into acceptable 20th century categories, so that modern people could believe them?