MATH 225N Week 1 Assignment Sampling Methods – Questions and Answers
- Assume that 80 houses are present in the form of a grid consisting of 10 columns and 8 If a loud speaker is placed just before the first row, which sampling method works the best to select a sample of houses if we … want to get an estimate of the average loudness (measured in decibels) near all the 80 houses?
- Angela is studying the mean blood pressure of all students attending her college. She collects data from the … 38 students in her statistics class. Which type of sampling is used?
- A town planner is interested in getting some demographic data about the households in the city. The city has four wards with the … following numbers of households: ward A has 2,107, ward B has 903, ward C has 1,505, and ward D has 1,499. The budget for the project allows the planner to survey 100 She plans to use a stratified sampling method. What number of households should be chosen from ward B? Enter a whole number.
- Donald is studying the eating habits of all students attending his school. He samples the population by dividing the students into … groups by grade level and randomly selecting a proportionate number of students from each group. He then collects data from the sample. Which type of sampling is used?
- An executive for a large national restaurant chain with multiple locations in each of 513 counties wants to personally sample the … cleanliness of the chain’s restaurants throughout the country by visiting restaurants. The executive wants a good-quality sample but wants to minimize travel time and expenses. Which of the following sampling methods would be most appropriate?
- …considering different sampling methods, stratified sampling includes the steps: _______.
- When is using a simple random sample appropriate?
- Ruby is studying the mean waist size of all students attending her college. She collects data from the 25 students in her statistics class. Which type of sampling is used?
- A school district’s superintendent wants to administer a test of life skills to a sample of students. The superintendent has ample time and resources to conduct the study, as well as access to detailed information about all … students’ addresses, courses, grades, and attendance. Which of the following would be the worst sampling method for the superintendent to use?
- In reference to different sampling methods, cluster sampling includes the steps: use simple random sampling to select a set of groups; every individual in the … chosen groups is included in the sample.
- A television station plans to send a crew to a polling center on an election day. Because they do not have time to … interview each individual voter, they decide to count voters leaving the polling location and ask every 20th voter for an interview. What type of sampling is this?
- William is studying the hair colors of all students attending his college. He collects data from the 25 students in his … statistics class. Which type of sampling is … ?
- A manufacturer has three tool centers that each make about 1000 tools every day. In order to implement better quality-control procedures, the manager wants to start sampling the tools made each day to be … able to identify issues as quickly as possible. Which sampling method would be most appropriate?
- To study the eating habits of all athletes in his school, Christopher obtains a list of the athletes and collects data from every 10th person … on the list. Which type of sampling is … ?
- A grocer receives cartons of 12 eggs in boxes of 100 In a particular month, the grocer receives 4 shipments of eggs with 20 boxes in each shipment. The grocer wants to estimate the proportion of … cartons he receives this month that include at least one broken egg. Which of the following sampling methods would be most appropriate?
- To study the mean head size of all athletes in his school, Kenneth obtains a list of the athletes and collects data from every 6th person … on the list. Which type of sampling is … ?
- A professor is … in the average length of books in her library. She has divided her books into a few different categories: 235 books on mathematics, 290 books on sports, and 166 books on interior design. Rather than … examining all the books, she plans to use a stratified sample of 50 How many of the sports books should she choose? Enter a whole number.
- Tina is studying the shoe sizes of all students attending her university. She samples the student population by selecting every 18th student from an … alphabetical list of the students. Which type of sampling is … ?
- The management of a large airline wants to estimate the average time after takeoff taken before the crew begins serving snacks and … beverages on their flights. Assuming that management has easy access to all of the information that would … to select flights by each proposed method, which of the following would be reasonable methods of stratified sampling? Select all that apply.
- When considering different sampling methods, systematic sampling includes the steps: _______.
- A television station wants to report on a local election. The station has three crews that can … used during the day … for collecting data. What sampling method would be appropriate?
- In reference to different sampling methods, systematic sampling includes the steps: list the members of the population; use simple random sampling to select a starting point in the … population; let k= (number of individuals in the population)/(number of individuals needed in the sample); choose every kth individual in the list starting with the one that was randomly …
- A town planner is … in getting some demographic data about the households in the city. The city has ten wards that … vary in size. Which sampling method is most appropriate?
- When considering different sampling methods, cluster sampling includes the steps: _______.
- A quality manager at a manufacturing plant needs to get a sample of widgets for monitoring the manufacturing processes. He plans to choose one out of every Nwid gets produced. The plant makes … about 5100 widgets per day, and the quality team has enough time to examine about 60 widgets each day. What value should the manager use for N? Enter a whole number.5100/60 = 85
- Cluster sampling includes the steps: divide the population into groups; use simple random sampling to identify a proportionate number of individuals from each group.
- A quality-assurance worker wants to … systematically sample 120 glass jars each day from a conveyor belt in a factory that puts out 3,600 jars each day. If the worker will select every kth jar, what is the best value of k for the worker to use? Enter a whole number.3600/120 = 30
In order to study the mean pulse rate of people in his town, Jerry samples the population by dividing the residents by regions and … randomly selecting 12of the regions. He collects data from all