HLT 555 Week 8 Benchmark Assignment, Health Impact Assessment Paper 1
HLT555 Week 8 Benchmark Assignment, Health Impact Assessment Paper 2
HLT 555 Week 8 Benchmark Assignment, Health Impact Assessment Paper 3
A health impact assessment (HIA), described in Chapter 4 of your textbook, is a process for describing and estimating the effects a proposed project or policy may have on the health of a population. For this assignment, imagine you asked to conduct a HIA for a proposed waste management facility in your community.
In a paper of 1,250-1,500-words address the following questions and issues:
- Provide an overview and description of the stages of an health impact assessment. How is it different from other forms of assessment, such as an environmental impact assessment or a community health assessment?
- What information would you need about the proposed project?
- What-information would you need about the community to understand the potential health effects?
- What recommendations would you propose to promote positive health effects? What recommendations would you propose to mitigate adverse health effects?
- Which decision makers would need this information? Why?
HLT 555 Week 8 Discussion Question 1 and 2
Discussion 1: In the United States, occupational health regulations are set by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). What are some of the major factors that limit the effectiveness of these regulations?
Discussion 2: What is the difference between an unintentional injury and an accident? Why is it important to make the distinction? Discuss some strategies for highlighting the difference between accidents and injuries.
Discussion 3: The risks of occupational injury and disease are especially high in poor countries. Identify a specific occupational health hazard in a developing nation and recommend a strategy for prevention.