FIN 350 Week 4 Module 4 Practice Problems
Complete the following problems from chapter 5 in the textbook:
Follow these instructions for completing and submitting your assignment:
1. Do all work in Excel. Do not submit Word files or *.pdf files.
2. Submit a single spreadsheet file for this assignment. Do not submit multiple files.
3. Place each problem on a separate spreadsheet tab.
4. Label all inputs and outputs and highlight your final answer.
5. Follow the directions in “Guidelines for Developing Spreadsheets.
FIN 350 Week 4 Module 4 Discussion Question 1
One of the basic financial principles is that the value of any asset (whether it be a stock, a bond, or a firm as a whole) is the present value of that asset’s future cash flows. As you learned in this chapter, finding present values requires determining a discount rate. Assume you want to buy a business, and you want to find the present value of its future cash flows. Name at least one variable you should consider in determining the correct discount rate to use and explain its role in discount rate determination. If possible, try to identify a variable that has not yet been mentioned by your classmates.
FIN 350 Module 4 Discussion 2
Look at the Focus on Ethics box (“How Fair Is Check Into Cash”) in Chapter 5 of the textbook. These, businesses quote an interest rate of 15% to loan customers (most of whom are fairly unsophisticated) and yet the EAR of the loan is close to 400%. Explain the wide discrepancy between these rates. What do you believe is the correct regulatory response to these types of lenders?